Happy New Year! Like everyone else, I am looking back at what worked and didn't work in 2011 and what hope to change and accomplish for the new year! I outdid myself this year and read 200 books. Yep, 200.
Out of those 200 books, 107 were e-books, 54 were new to me authors, and I read 23 series. I only managed to review 37 out of which 20 were for author or book tours. Kind of went on a Paranormal and paranormal romance bent this year when I discovered Laurel K. Hamilton and read the entire Anita Blake Vampire series and Merry Gentry Series. Which lead to Marjorie M Lui's Dirk and Steel series, Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter stories and Christine Feehan's Ghostwalkers.
Besides the authors above, there are a few books that stood out this year and my top ten are:
1) Outlining Your Novel by K.M Weiland (non fiction - writing)
2) The Silver Eagle by Ben Kane (Historical fiction)
3) Murder in the Marais by Cara Black (parisian mystery)
4) Soulless by Gail Garriger (steampunk)
5) The Preacher's Bride by Jody Hedlund (christian historical fiction)
6) Janeology by Karen Harrington (psychological thriller)
7) Death of the Red Heroine by Qui Xiaolong (political mystery)
8) Before I go to Sleep by S.J. Watson (thriller)
9) In the Woods by Tana French (murder mystery)
10) The Memory Collector by Meg Gardner (psychological thriller)
For 2012 I'm going to slow it down a bit, read more deliberately, read some non fiction books on writing and delve into more classics. I'm also instituting a buying ban for the next 6 month and going to read only the books in my TBR pile so joined My Reader's Block Mount TBR Reading challenge with the goal of reading 40 books even though it will most likely be more. I'm also limiting myself to one or two book and author tours a month. My challenge fortunately are all overlapping and I have many new to me authors already in my stacks and ereader.
Happy New year and Happy Reading!