I have included several mini challenges to make it fun:
Read Around the World: You can read books set in and/or written by an author of a different country each week. You can hang out in one country, exploring their history and culture or strike out across the world, mixing and mingling. It's entirely up to you how fast and how far and how many books you want to read. Have fun exploring!
Nobel Prize Winners in Literature: read books written by winning authors
Well Educated Mind: Continuing exploring the classics in 5 categories: Fiction, Autobiography, History/Politics, Drama and Poetry.
52 BaW Reader Recommendations: Read books recommended by participants in 2013
Dusty Mini challenge: Limit buying new books for 1 - 4 months and read 4 to 12 or more
books gathering dust on your shelves prior to 2013.
Chunky Mini Challenge -books more than 500 pages.
I've also some up with monthly themes and readalongs to kick it up a notch:
- January: Haruki Murakami's 65th birthday - Wind Up Bird Chronicles Readalong
- February: 700th Anniversary of Dante's Inferno - readalong
- March: Sully Prudhomme (French) 1st Nobel prize Winner - birthday 3/16/1839)
- April: National Poetry Month
- May: Art History Mysteries - Monuments Men Readalong
- June: Steampunk month (gear con) (steampunk.com)
- July: Anniversary Thomas More's Death - Utopia / Utopian/Dystopian reads
- August: World War 1 100th Anniversary / Fiction or Non fiction readalong
- September: Banned Books Month
- October: Spooktacular
- November: Non Fiction November
- December: Inspiration reads
Yes, I plan on it being a busy reading year! If you haven't joined in yet, now is the time to play!!!