New York Vacation: Oct 7& 8 Day Four and Five: Plans go awry

Oct 7 Day four: Plan for the Day
Father goes to AES convention
James and I go to Time Square Toysrus and Borders.

(oh the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry)

We set the alarm the night before for 7:30 a.m. but for some reason it didn’t go off (ssshhhh!!! Don’t tell father but I set it for 7:30 p.m. – silly me) We woke up anyway, expecting the alarm at any moment. Father got ready and left by 8:30 to take a cab to the Javitz Center. I fell back asleep and both James and I woke up around 11:30. 

I told James we should go to the Toysrus first, then backtrack to the Borders since it was just right down the street. I ordered room service which included toast for James, but he refused to eat. I told him we weren’t going anywhere unless he ate, because breakfast was very important---blah,blah,blah. Well, the busyness and stress of the last three days had caught up with him and he got sick. Yep, just like the grand canyon trip, we spent the majority of the day and night in the bathroom hugging the porcelain goddess.

I think I am going to start writing reviews about the cleanliness of hotel bathrooms from the view of the floor. When you spent 80% of your time sitting on the floor, holding your poor kid’s head while he throws up, you notice a lot of things. What should I call my new book? “Those who don’t clean from the bottom up!” “Views from the Under Side!”, “The dark side of the Porcelain Goddess!” Hmmm! Anybody think of a catchy toilet, err title?

I was able to finish “Silver Towers” and read all of “illuminations” in between bathroom visits, so will be working up reviews of those soon. Unfortunately, those were the only two books I have brought with us, so was ever so thankful for the free wifi access. Of course, it was ever so slow – almost dial speed at times, but was able to read the news and read the blogs. Father finally returned at 6:30 and shared everything about the AES convention. He met a lot of new people and made some excellent business contacts. I sent him out to get some dinner and he returned an hour later with more milk, water and burger king whopper, fries and a coke for me. I naturally assumed he had eaten while he was out.

James continued making bathroom visits and I know darn well Father can not handle even listening to someone being sick, so I told him to go downstairs, have a drink and relax. 4 hours later he returned having had three or four and watching the game between the Yankees and the Mets. He decided to have some fruit loops (because he had not eaten dinner when he went out earlier) which I adamantly opposed because “I” remember what happened the last time he mixed beer with fruit loops on an empty stomach. He humored me but grumbled as he ate Pringles and Cheerios. We spent a rather sleepless night and all feel asleep in the wee hours of the morning. Whoosh!!!!

Oct 8 Day Five: No Plan

James spent most of the day sleeping. He had finally stopped throwing up but didn’t want to eat a thing, of course. I made sure he drank water and started letting him has sips of milk to fill up his tummy. Father was equally tired and stayed in bed napping and reading. I decided to go out to the store and get our secret weapon: Gerber Baby Food Peaches. James loves them and it always makes him feel better after being sick, plus stimulates his appetite. 

I had an ulterior motive as well, because I didn’t have anything left to read and Borders was just a short walk away. I left the two guys sleeping peacefully and walked down to Borders. My finds: The alchemist by Paulo Coelho and Twilight by Stephenie Meyer, plus a book for father and a Dora movie for James. Then ran down into Penn station to the drug store and picked up some Gerber’s Peaches, more milk, and Pepsi.

I started reading Twilight while the guys slept. Father went out after a while to walk around and take pictures of Penn station and other sights. I was totally enthralled with the book at this point and didn’t mind a bit. James ate some peaches and went back to sleep. Father came back a while later, changed lenses and went out again. He came back just as I was getting to an exciting part of the story. Soon after, I sent him downstairs to eat dinner and went back to reading and finished the book – all 498 pages of it. It is just one of those books that once you start reading, you can’t put it down. Now I have to read the sequels, no doubt about it.

For the life of me, the rest of the evening is a blur. We got packed up, ready for bed and tried to sleep. Whoosh, Whoosh, Whoosh… Head, shoulders, knees and toes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unfortunately due to being spammed, all comments will be moderated and will appear after approval. At least I'm not using the dreaded captcha. Thank you for dropping by!